Blog Post #1
While reading Ellie Weisels' Night, I started off with an overall neutral viewpoint. The more I read, I started to gain an increasingly disbelieving view. Not that I didn't believe Ellie, just the things he wrote were so horrible I almost couldn't believe they were true. ( such as when he recalls the Nazis would throw babies into the air as target practice(pg.4) and when he first arrived in Auschwitz and they threw babies into fire pits.) Even the people in his neighborhood did not believe the only witness of these atrocities, as they were too awful to comprehend. (Pg.19) “He’s just trying to make us pity him. What an imagination he has!” they said. Or even: “Poor fellow." This is only the beginning of the book and already I can tell it's going to be extremely hard to read. Imagining that all of the atrocities we are aware of and then some happened in human history. The idea that we allowed this to happen at all is even worth. Hitlers’ rise was a complex one but was preventable if we had seen It coming. I am not sure how to feel while knowing that the book will only get harder to read.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteOwen,
ReplyDeleteYour paragraph is very well worded and uses great detail. I would, however, disagree with your claim that the Jews did not believe Moishe, I would say that they didn’t want to believe him, that they knew that this statement could be true but were so horrific that they suppressed their belief.
I think your paragraph is really good. You used good vocabulary and details to explain in your quotes. You did a good job explaining how this book highly impacted you. I also think you had good quotes and describing them very well. Overall, I think you had a really good paragraph.
ReplyDelete