Owen Blog Post #4


Before reading Night, I had a little prior knowledge about World War 2 and the Holocaust in general. I had read the book Maus once, and read some other books about topics like the Hitler youth and Jewish defiance. However, reading Night and going to the Holocaust museum in Washington widened my view of these topics extremely. At first, I was a little uneasy going in to the unit as I was unsure about the severity of the topics we would be covering. Going through, I learned many more things than I had previously known, such as the amount of death camps there actually were and how some camps were work camps that enforced slave labor. This affected me because I got to learn about how awful some of the German acts were, and how awe inspiring the acts of defiance by the Jewish people were. Some people in camps, before being taken away to be killed, would shout words of solidarity and empowerment to the other prisoners, using their final breaths to give strength to their fellow Jewish people. Hearing other classmates share their viewpoints and sharing some of their own art pieces, it was interesting to see how my friends and other students were taking the reading and portraying their thoughts through art and other media. Learning what events led to the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party was interesting, as I began to wonder if anyone in Germany could have forseen what would become of Germany later on, and if events like this could happen today. It is important to pay tribute to the victims of Nazi Germany and the holocaust because so many people sacrificed themselves for their fellow comrades and stood strong even when faced with death, as we saw in life is beautiful. Even being marched towards his imminent death, Guido still did his best to make his child stand strong. 

Comments

  1. I too had only known the stereotype of what happened to Jewish people at that time. It's was also shocking and sad to me about the holocaust. And although I have read Maus 1 and other documentary books and movies as well, I found them not as profound and serious about the topic of the holocaust as what I seen in Night and the museum. Although some of those movies, like Apocalypse, mentioned them, but they only mentioned, instead of saying how tragic it was. All in all, you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alike you, I had very little knowledge of the Holocaust entering this unit, however, I approached the unit with a relative amount of fear and anxiety. I only later learned that it was all for good reason. As the unit progressed it became almost unbearable to hear and read about what happened in actual concentration camps. Even when it seemed as though it shouldn’t be heavily applicable we imagine those we hold close to ourselves in these situations and can’t help but be saddened. It was truly the acts of courage and strength that gave me hope.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Osob Essa Blog Post #4

Kaelyn Blog Post #4

Camille Blog Post #3