Osob Essa Blog Post #4
Before our unit of the Holocaust, I didnt fully understand how brutal this time period was. In the book Night, Elie talked about his experience at the concentration camp, which was extremely hard to read. Going to the Holocaust musuem was even harder. When we watched life is beautiful, they talked about how they take older people and children into a room and tell them that they are going to take them in for a shower. But they actually put them into a gas chamber. And at the holocoaust museum I saw a picture and there was someone who knew what was going on with the gas chambers and was throwing out her kids, screaming let me die and not them. But an overall question I had during this unit was that, did the people torturing the Jews actually believe that they think it's fair to take innocent people to a concentration camp, or were they just afraid of Hitler and had a better advantage because they were German. In the beginning of the book Night, Elie talked about how much he cared about Judaism. I don't understand why they classified Jews by the way they look. Now in the 21st century you can't look at people and know what they believe in or their religion. I think the hardest part of this unit was going to the Holocaust meusem. Just watching the videos, reading the statements and quotes and looking at the pictures was very hard for me. I liked how at the end we got to light a candle for someone. I also enjoyed listening to the survivors stories at the end of the museum to hear it from their perspective as well. Overall this was probably the most emotional and hardest units we have ever done. But I'm glad that now everyone has a voice to say what they believe in and everyone is equal.
I liked your connections to the Holocaust museum. I also liked lighting a candle at the end of the museum and I thought that the survivor stories were interesting to listen to. I agree with what you wrote and I think that your writing is eye-opening. Overall, I liked reading what you thought about the Holocaust.
ReplyDeleteI know exactly what you were feeling. I was not prepared for the exhibits in the museum. Lighting the candles was almost refreshing in a way. It helped lift the weight off my shoulders a little.
ReplyDeleteI liked how you connected Life is Beautiful to the holocaust museum. Although the film had a lighter theme, it still was hard to imagine what so many people went through at the time. Your overall question is something that I think a lot about as well. I completely agree with everything you wrote.
ReplyDelete