Camille Blog Post #4
One theme in Night that really impacted me in Night was the theme of losing faith and feeling hopeless. Throughout my reading of the book, I kept debating with myself if I would have kept faith in God or if I would have lost faith and felt betrayed or disregarded like some of the people in Night, I still don’t know. Before reading Night I hadn’t even given much thought to whether or not victims felt hopeless. Although after finishing Night I realize how important this was. Beliving God was there or believing you are all alone could alter your choices. It changed your mindset. If you kept faith, you might believe that if you waited and if you prayed that God would save you. You might think that the Holocaust was a test to see if you would keep believing in God. Some people in Night did think this and tried to keep everyone else faithful. Although if you believed God had left you, you might think more on the terms of everyone for themselves as Elie did in Night. Everyone feels hopeless at some point in their lives, maybe not to the extent that the victims and survivors of the Holocaust did, but hopelessness is still in the world today. At the museum, I saw a gas chamber door and I wondered, did the victims know what was about to happen when they saw that? Did they have faith then? Or what about when they were crammed into the train cars and starved and beaten at concentration camps. Were they convinced that God would help them? In the film Life is Beautiful did Guido stay faithful to God? Did he and/or his wife believe that God would help them? It appeared that Guido was hopeful throughout the movie, although he could have been staying cheerful to convince his son that the camp was a game. All in all, I think that an important theme in Night and in Life is Beautiful is faith an hope.
I can completely agree that Elie's faith in God and the hopelessness that he had was in fact the main theme in the novel. You did a really good job on explaining how important this theme was to the novel and Elie himself. And I really think you had a powerful explanation on saying that having faith or not altered your choices. I think you did an amazing job! Great job!
ReplyDeleteDear Camille,
ReplyDeleteI completely agree with you on how it would have been life-altering whether or not a victim of the Holocaust kept faith and hope. I have never identified with a religion, however, through the works of Elie Weisel in Night, I was able to empathize with the loss of faith and how that affected his attitude toward the experience. Unlike in Night in the film, Life is Beautiful we never see whether or not Guido was able to keep hope and faith. Instead, we only see what Guido presents to his son. I think that your connection to the loss of hope in the Holocaust to the loss of hope in the present day points out some interesting ideas. Although during the Holocaust the loss of communication aided to the Nazi’s ability to prevail today I would almost say we are too informed or rather there is more to be informed on and still no action.