Chris Blog Post #1
I found it poignant that Jews were transported in those filthy and crowded wagons. Without food, water, and even personal space, that they had to stay in that dark wagon on a hot summer day. “After two days of travel, thirst became intolerable, as did the heat… She was howling, pointing through the window: ‘Look! Look at this fire! This terrible fire! Have mercy on me!’” (Wiesel 23-25). It is hard to imagine such a thing happening in the real-life, but Elie’s words brought the scene right in front of my eyes. And the reflection of that was the 'craziness' of that woman. She’s literally insane about the invisible fire which became real when they arrived at their destination. Elie felt bad about that woman when they had to leave her alone on the train. It is inhumane to treat any human being like that. Elie’s words are as vivid as if it was real. And the rhythm of his sentences are evocating.
When they arrived at Auschwitz concentration camp, they were heading for the crematory. They didn’t realize that until they saw huge flames, and babies being thrown into it. “A truck drew close and unloaded its hold: small children. Babies” (Wiesel 32). What an unbelievable thing to even imagine. I was extremely shocked when I read through this part. This is cruel, and nobody can expect it to be done by a human being. Those young lives were coming to an end before starting. And the author began to lose sleep after that. I think it will be the same if anyone had seen that. And how could they simply kill so many young lives without hesitating. This time, Elie described the horrifying scene, the words he used shocked me and led me to go straight into his thoughts. And the part of eluding dreams after fire showed the rhythm of his writing, which seemed to have a mark in my mind.
I agree with what you said about the inhumane way they transported the Jews, I also think that it is very sad how they treated Mrs. Schächter, and how they had to leave her behind in the cattle.I also agree that the way the Germans treated the babies is very disgusting and unbelievable, this part of the book was also very shocking to me.
ReplyDeleteChris, I found your post to be very detailed and well written. I liked how you really showed how you felt and how you saw the book. Also, I think that you put your quotes in at the perfect times. Overall, I think you did really great!
ReplyDelete