Blog Post #1 Evan
“After two days of travel thirst became intolerable” (Wiesel 23). This sentence shocked me a great amount for being so dull. Elie shows that they had nothing to dring and little to ever eat for the eighty people in the small car. This made me sad not only for him and his family but it shocked me for everyone who had to go through this and everyone in his car. Elie’s word choice is what I think brought the point home it wasn’t too complicated it was straight forward and that's what helped me fully understand what was happening. “Men to the left, Women to the right!” (Wiesel 29) This statement surprised me on how things were done at a concentration camp. This also showed me how angry and demanding everyone in the german army was to not have anything done wrong. Elie’s sentence phrasing made me feel like I was there and the soldiers were yelling this at me too. Also, how he described the feeling of being told his age and his fathers too made me think I was experiencing this same feeling.
Evan,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post, I was very well worded and I agree with almost everything you said! Elie does have a very nondescript style of writing that leaves the imagination to the reader. This allows a very personal connection to these horrific events. Elie is truly an amazing writer and I'm glad you brought this up in your post.
Evan,
ReplyDeleteYour reasoning was very sound. I was surprised by how similar our reactions were to one another. You said that the way that Elie wrote was shocking to you. I have to agree that the writing style surprised me. While I do see why you felt this way, I do not agree with feeling like soldiers were yelling at me. Thank you van you have enlightened me on the book Night.