Aisha Blog Post #1

I always knew that the holocaust was a significant and hard period in American History, but while reading Night I realized that I hardly knew anything about what people of Jewish heritage were experiencing at the time. There was one sentence that really stood out to me: “Yes, I did see this, with my own eyes. . . children thrown into the flame” (Wiesel 32). After reading this, I couldn’t believe that he had gone through that type of trauma and lived to write about it. In a way, I am grateful that his thoughts were recorded, otherwise there would have been a missing part to the history.  Seeing babies and small children thrown into fire is not something that people normally experience nor should they have to experience, although it made me wonder how many people in total had to see that as well. Another passage I found that was also sad stated: “Never shall I forget that night, the first night in camp, that turned my life into one long night seven times sealed. . . Never” (Wiesel 34). Reading the whole paragraph, one can read all the tragic and horrible things he had to endure in only a single night. 

While reading this book, I not only thought of Elie, but of all the people that experienced the horrors of the concentration camp their first night.  It’s sad to see how drastically their lives changed in a short amount of time. I believe that Elie Wiesel writes in a detached and informal tone when he is describing the horrors he witnessed and endured. He uses short sentences that are quick and get to the point. For me, this makes everything real and as a reader part of his reality. For example: “There was no floor. A roof and four walls. Our feet sank into the mud” (Wiesel 38).  Only three short sentences, yet you can understand exactly what he is trying to say and can even visualize what is happening in the story. He allows me to form a mental image of the place and situation. 

Comments

  1. I agree with what you said about Elie’s writing style being short and to the point. I think that his sentences aren't very poetic but are still full of imagery. When I read Night I thought about how many people's stories are being forgotten and what they saw and experienced. Did you feel this way too? Overall I really liked your view on the book and the quotes you used to explain how you felt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also thinking about the trauma that all of victims had to experience and endure. The idea of living through this horror for years, if I survived that long, is unimaginable. I agree with your point of Elie being very to-the-point. I appreciate his ability to catch the audience's attention while using sentences that are no more than seven words.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Osob Essa Blog Post #4

Kaelyn Blog Post #4

Camille Blog Post #3