Andrew Blog Post #1

In Elie  Wiesel’s Night the reader is consuming a recount of some of the most horrific events in human history. All of the events that take place in this book are tragic, some resonate more personally with me though. When Moishe escapes and returns from the execution he tells Elie of what had happened. One statement he shared was, “Tobie, the tailor who had begged to die before his sons were killed” (Night, 7.) I don't know why exactly but this line felt especially tragic to me. No one, for whatever reason, seemed to listen to Moishe, if they had maybe a small part of this tragedy could have been avoided. After they are taken to Auschwitz they were given numbers Elie recounts this saying, “I became A-7713. From then on I had no other name” (Night, 42.) This shows how little the Nazis care, they don't even give names to those who they kill. Elie also talks about how he lost faith. He says that how could a God allow such things to happen to good and honest people. “Never shall I forget those moments that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes,” (Night, 34.) It is no guess how one could lose faith under such circumstances. The only way that he and many others keeps going is by holding on to the little that they have left. For many of them that is the belief that the war will be over soon and the American or the Russians will free them and they will live on after. Elie has a very distinctive writing style. He is very mellow and direct with his discscriptions. In the book they often say that tomorrow can be worse. His writing style reflect this, very rarely does he use executive detail, he leaves the interpretation to the reader which allows them to closer reflect the accounts onto themselves.

Comments

  1. Andrew,
    I could not agree more as you explained how inhumane it was that the nazis assigned a number Elie as though he was less than human. The conditions that would force a man to beg for death explain enough, and to alienate a Jew from his god shows only the will of the nazis to break these people. However, I can not say I agree with you about Elie leaving the imagination to fill in the gaps of detail in his writing, instead, it is the detail that makes the scenes so horrific.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew

    Your post was very relatable, I thought the same things! This whole book does seem very tragic for some reason. I also agree about Elie’s distinctive writing style. I feel his writing is so straight forward it makes so much sense. Overall, well done and nice job Andrew!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Osob Essa Blog Post #4

Kaelyn Blog Post #4

Camille Blog Post #3