Blog Post #1

As I am reading the book Night by Elie Wiesel, I’ve had many different feelings. When he starts the book about the story of Moishe the Beadle, I felt really sad because he was studying different religions and he wanted to know more about them. He knew he was not safe. So he prayed to God and Kabbalah, in order to keep himself safe. “I pray to the God within me for the strength to ask him the questions”. (Wiesel 5) That part really touched me, because it hurts to see people knowing that they are in a very bad position. Then he got sent to a concentration camp in Auschwitz, just because he was Jewish. Just by hearing that makes me wish the world to be more like a utopia, not a dystopia. “On everyone’s back, there was a sack. In everyone’s eyes, tears and distress”. (Wiesel 17) In Wiesel’s wording, he used the words God and Kabbalah, which can symbolize who Moishe prayed in, and he hoped that he would just be safe. It is said that people would ask Moishe why he prayed, and he said because he believes in them and he wishes for them to protect him. Wiesel’s pace was he would say some dialogue, describe the dialogue, and then kind of pause. Then do it all over again. It really makes me as a reader capture all of the emotions and really feel the ways he felt when he was younger. Wiesel also wrote very big words and very descriptive words as well. They make you imagine his environment, and you can picture the horrendous tragedies of the holocaust happening.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Griffin, I enjoy your use of words for how you feel however from my point of view I think I may disagree. I felt depressed through that book as well but for me, it was more of a feeling of being frightened for the main character. Where there are many depressing parts from my point of view I was scared and horrified at what the germans were doing. However, I do think that you make a great point on the depressing aspect of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Griffin,

    I liked how you explained how the book made you feel emotionally. Your point about Moishe the Beadle and how he got sent to a concentration camp just for being Jewish really stuck out because now in this time period it is so hard to imagine that actually taking place. The quotes you included fit really well into your passage about how you felt sad, and hurt as you read these actions taking place. Also, how you described Elie's pace of writing, description, and word choice and how you were able to connect to his writing was striking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Griffin,
    I enjoy hearing about how emotional this book really made you. How wishing it was a utopia so the world could be perfect and safe when really there was nothing but fear. Reading this was hard for me as well. The quotes that you chose were a powerful choice by bringing up more emotion and events that were occurring at the time. His reading pace to me was very much like you said. It is all very hard to process so I am glad that he takes his reading style slow, so we are able to process what atrocity was happening at the time. This was a beautifully worded piece and overall, I am glad that I got to hear your standpoint on this book as a whole.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Osob Essa Blog Post #4

Kaelyn Blog Post #4

Camille Blog Post #3