Claire Blog Post #1
When Elie witnessed that young children and babies were being thrown into the flames of the crematorium, I had to question whether or not all of this was true for a second because of how awful that is. “Yes, I did see this, with my own eyes...children thrown into the flames!”(Wiesel 32). The way Elie chose to write this passage by saying he was not quite sure if all of this was just simply a nightmare or reality, put into perspective on how awful all of this really was.
Hearing how indiscriminately all of these prisoners and infants were being carelessly shot was simply shocking to me. How the Hungarian Police were fully aware of this brutality that they were bringing upon these innocent people. So many casualties that it became a routine and something that the people just looked past. “Without passion or haste, they shot their prisoners, who were forced to approach the trench one by one and offer their necks. Infants were tossed in the air and used as targets for the machine guns”(Wiesel 6). This simply was only the beginning of all the cruelty that was yet to come, however Elie wrote it almost saying that he could not believe it himself. Almost as if he pushed all of it off to the side, thinking that Moishe was a crazy man for telling such awful stories like these.
I get how you were feeling about not being able to believe the reality of the horrible things that happened too many innocent people. But I felt different emotions as if it was so awful I could have thrown up. You really specified things about the book less than how you felt reading it yourself, I did enjoy reading your blog because I related to it.
ReplyDeletei understand how you feel questioning if the things he described really happened. it took me a while to realize that all the atrocities he described are real. the detail elie puts in just shows how awful the concentration camps were. i think everyone can relate to what you talked about.
ReplyDelete