mac sowden blog #1
Through the first 46 pages of night my emotions changed drastically as the book went on. In the beginning, the book was horrifying. I began to pretend it was a story instead of thinking the book is history. It became much easier to process the book and understand it because when I would think of the book none of these atrocities actually happened. Of course i know that they happened but when i read in detail about the ghettos and the beatings that elie had received, it was much harder to know that he had been beaten then to know that the character I was reading about had been beaten. I still do this to some extent when i read but later in the book I don't need to as much. I don't exactly know why I don't do this anymore, especially because of how much I needed to at the beginning. In the later half of the book, it's much more depressing. The emotional state of elie seemed to change from scared to being very pessimistic, although this is justified because you can't expect someone to be too bright about being in a concentration camp. When elie was in birkenau two steps away from being in the crematorium elie says “I was face to face with the Angel of Death.” in my opinion, he says the Angel of Death because death will spare him from the pain that is in the concentration camp, and giving death the title of being an angel would suggest the same. I think this is the saddest point in the book, because him saying that death would be better than what lies ahead for him just shows the extent of how bad the camps were and how he thought of the experience.
Comments
Post a Comment