Mikayla Blog Post #4

I am both connected and impacted by the theme of faith that is shown throughout the course of the book. Coming from a Catholic household, I have always been taught how to do what God would do, and love and praise him. I would get scared to not finish the sign of the cross after praying, get paranoid if I didn’t pray at night, and would feel bad if I didn’t go to church at least once a week. Even with all of that stress of completing all these tasks that I was told I was supposed to do, I never thought that anyone would have good reason to turn against their god. That was, until I read night. After reading “Should we fast? The question was hotly debated. To fast would mean a surer, swifter death. We fasted here the whole year round. The whole year was Yom Kippur. But others said that we should fast simply because it was dangerous to do so. We should show God that even here, in this enclosed hell, we were capable of singing His praises.” (Wiesel p. 38) I realized just how easily people would turn against their god if it meant survival. And, I don’t believe that is in anyway wrong. In this case, it was religion or survival, and if the Jews cared for their lives, they would’ve chosen survival. If they continued to follow their religious beliefs, they would be dead within months That’s if they weren’t already killed off when they first arrived.

Comments

  1. I agree that one of the main themes in the book was faith. I liked how you connected your own faith and emotions into your post. It was unbelievable that people would turn away from God if it just meant for survival. How they were met with a decision and what each side turned out to be. You did a very good job of showing how faith played a big role in the holocaust.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Osob Essa Blog Post #4

Kaelyn Blog Post #4

Camille Blog Post #3