Reese Corckran Blog Post #3
Never Shall I Forget
By: Reese
Never shall I forget how his last words had been my name
Never shall I forget the look in his eyes as he gazed at me
Never shall I forget the day that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes
Never shall I forget the small faces of the children
whose bodies I saw transformed into smoke under the silent sky
And the day that I became A-7713 we were nothing but numbers
And orders to shoot anyone who could not sustain the pace
Never shall I forget the lament spreading from wagon to wagon
We were told: there is no such thing as a father, brother, friend
Each of us lives and dies alone
And to keep your anger, your hate, for another day, for later
Yet those were the most human words
So never shall I forget how under our feet lay men
As we marched left, right, left
And then I did
I left him alone in the clutches of death.
This is powerful also that part that goes ¨Never shall I forget the day that murdered my God and my soul and turned my dreams to ashes" that really gave me shivers and so much was taking from them. Good job Reese.
ReplyDeleteI like the tone of your poem and how the words flow off your tongue. Your poem tells a story. If someone reads your poem they would know it’s about the Holocaust. The last line of your poem “I left him alone in the clutches of death” really moved me and wrapped up the whole poem.
ReplyDelete