Camille Blog Post #1
The passages “The prevailing opinion was that the war was about to end” (Weisel 42) and “Spring 1944. Splendid news from the Russian Front. There could bo longer be any doubt: Germany would be defeated. It was only a matter of time, months or weeks perhaps… The people were saying, “The Red Army is advancing with great strides… Hitler will not be able to harm us, even if he wants to” (Weisel 8). It was shocking how they believed that war was ending and Hilter would fall They had no idea what was coming or how many lives were to be lost very soon. A passage I thought was interesting was “Why do you pray?” he asked after a moment. Why did I pray? Strange question. Why did I live? Why did I breathe?” (Weisel 4) I thought it was interesting that Elie included this in his book.
Elie Wiesel uses pauses or separates ideas into two sentences to create suspense. An example of this is “My throat was dry and the words were choking me, paralyzing my lips. There was nothing else to say” (Weisel 15). Another example of Elie using this is “In front of us, those flames. In the air, the smell of burning flesh” (Weisel 28). This (to me at least) gives the words more emotion and drama. I felt shocked that these things really happened.
ReplyDeleteI agree with the shocking idea of yours that they still didn’t realize Hitler was not defeated, and dream about that war has nothing to do with them. And as what Elie himself wrote in the book, he believes its delusion that kept them in, the delusion of hope and confidence. Which lead them not to believe what Moishe the Beatle said. And the question of “why do you pray?” respond to their delusions. They are two very corresponding quotes you found. The suspense part you found was also the awesome writing rhythm of Elie, it gave me the feeling of shocking every time the suspense become true. Overall, I think you did a great job.
I agree how you felt when you were shocked that they were oblivious to their future. You spoke more about the book itself then how you felt as you were reading it. The quotes you found where also very strong as if they supported your blog very well. I enjoyed reading your words and hearing your thoughts about the book
ReplyDelete