Blog #1
So far, my experience of the book Night by Elie Wiesel has been depressing and horrific I wish that I could be in the holocaust rather than all these people. I wish that we could change the past and never have to read about this horrific event. I wish that I could have stopped them from doing this to the jews. But what I most questions is why they would ever have the mind to do such a thing. “Work or crematorium-the choice is yours”(Wiesel39). A German man is telling the jews that they have a choice to work at a concentration camp or be burned alive at a crematorium. This quote affects me as it is a crude and inhumane thing to do to the jews as we are all the same and we are all humans. I quote another message of Elie Wiesel, “Children were begging for water”(Wiesel16). The Germans are starving the jews and forcing them to stay in their houses until they are ready to be shipped away. This quote affects me in a way that I have never experienced. How could they starve and kill children just because they were hungry or begging for water? Elie Wiesel’s writing is sending a very powerful message to readers because of how strongly the germans hated and beat the jews. He writes about his own experience and power he saw these events happen in front of his eyes. He seems to use this book as a release to tell people a message of to never do this act again or start something like it. He clearly shows us the hard consequences and suffering of the jews.
Finn, I see your blog post as both powerful and well worded. I liked the way that you went into detail about how you felt and how you questioned how someone could carry out such acts. I too could not believe that someone was able to perform such acts to not only adults but also children! The only question I have for you is that if you were given the chance to be in the holocaust rather than all of these people, would you actually take that chance? I personally find it hard to believe that someone would go through all of that rather than others because selfishly, I wouldn’t. I would see it as too horrific of an experience and would rather not go through that myself. Besides that, you did an amazing job!
ReplyDeleteFinn,
ReplyDeleteI understand where you are coming from, this is how I reacted to the Holocaust when I found about it for the first time. Yes, I wish the Nazis and the Holocaust did not exist; but they did, and I feel sorrow for the millions of dead and tortured people. Your two quotes show some of the horrible things the Nazis did, but you are only scratching the surface of the atrocities of the Nazis. The second quote made me relieved because I had assumed the Nazis did much worse than starving children and killing people who had no ability to work. Well said Finn, you took the words right out of my mouth.